This paper examines the meaning of terms “co-governance” and “co-management” and then notes some:
- examples of statutory co-governance in the Treaty area,
- statutory vehicles for co-governance/joint management,
- examples of collaboration in the public sector,
- looks at the imperative to “do more with less” in the changing environment of the Department of Conservation
- look at some emerging practical examples of non-statutory co-governance in the context of in the Department of Conservation – from the ground up
- considers the ramifications of accountability by virtue of increased co-governance and suggests issues to consider.